Hurling and Gaelic Football were played in Kilbrin in the last century. Records exist of a Kilbrin team which took part in a tournament in Dromtarriffe in 1892. It is believed that there was a football team in Curraghs around 1925. Jim, Matt and Toby Bluitt, Martin and Paddy O’Brien, Tim and Michael O’Sullivan, Dinny, John and Tim Mullane, and Jack Murphy were all members of this team.
Hurling was played in a field - owned by Con Cronin, Castlemagner - opposite Mullane’s forge in the 1940s. A team was formed and went under the name of Curraghs Rovers. Players included Denny Fitz, Jim Buckley, Dan Buckley, Mick Brislane, Jerry O’Connor, Paddy Regan, Tim Mullane, Ben Mullane, Denny Mullane, Jack Mullane, Jim Fitz, Donal O’Brien, Tim O’Mahony, Dan O’Mahony, Dave Field, Paddy Field, Joe Field and Jack Murphy. They played several challenge matches, but never affiliated to any board. The team went out of existence, although many of the players continued to puck around in the same field now owned by the Kearney family.
In conjunction with the opening of the Dr.Croke Hall in 1952, a game was played between Na Piarsaigh and Castlemagner, in the field which was later to become our present playing pitch, Fr.Kelleher Park.
No official team represented Kilbrin until the Kilbrin club was formed in 1953. A meeting was called, and the first committee to be elected were:- Chairman, Dan O’Mahony; Secretary, Patsy Corkery; Treasurer, Dan Buckley. Despite being anxious at the time that the establishment of a club should be postponed for a couple of years, to allow time for the debt on the Dr.Croke Hall to be cleared, Fr.Donie Ryan was to take a very active part in the club as President, and he refereed many tournament games.